1st GRADE RED to 1st DAN BLACK
Koryo poomsae symbolizes "seonbae" which means a learned man, who is characterized by a strong martial sprit as well as a righteous learned man's sprit. The sprit had been inherited through the ages of Koryo, Palhae and down to Koryo, which is the background of organizing the Koryo poomsae. The new techniques appearing in this poomsae are kodeum-chagi, opeun-sonnal-bakkat-chigi, sonnal- arae-makki, khaljaebi-mureup-nullo-kkokki, momtong-hecho-makki, jumeok- pyojeok-jireugi, pyonson-kkeut-jecho-jireugi, batang-son-nullo-makki, palkup-yop-chagi, me-jumeok-arae-pyojeok-chigi, etc, which only black-belters can practice. The jumbi-seogi is the tong-milgi that requires mental concentration by positioning the hand in between the upper abdomen and the lower abdomen where "sin"[divine] and "jeong"[spirit] converge. The line of poomsae represents the Chinese letter, which means "seonbae" or "seonbi", a learned man or a man virtue in the Korean language.
Movements - 50
READY STANCE: Raise up on the balls of both feet as you bring both hands up to form a triangle
in front of your face; then push both hands out about 6" as feet settle back to flatfoot position.
1. Move left foot 90 degrees to left toward L-1 into a BACK STANCE with a twin knifehand block.
2 - 6
Execute Lo-Hi sidekicks with right foot toward L-1; set right foot down into a FRONT STANCE toward L-1 with a right palm-down knifehand strike; left reverse punch; move right foot back into a WALKING STANCE with a right out-to-in block.
7. Pivot on left foot, moving right foot 180 degrees clockwise toward R-1 into a BACK STANCE with a twin knifehand block.
8 - 12
Execute Lo-Hi sidekicks with left foot toward R-1; set left foot down into a FRONT STANCE toward R-1 with a left palm-down knifehand strike; right reverse punch; move left foot back into a WALKING STANCE with a left out-to-in block.
13 + 14
Move left foot 90 degrees counter-clockwise toward -B- into a FRONT STANCE; execute a left open hand down block; right tiger-mouth strike to neck level.
15, 16 + 17
Execute right front snap kick toward -B- setting into right FRONT STANCE with right open hand down block; left tiger-mouth strike to neck level.
18, 19 + 20
Execute a left front snap kick toward -B- setting into a left FRONT STANCE with left open hand down block; right tiger-mouth strike to neck level.
21 + 22
Execute a right front snap kick setting into right FRONT STANCE toward -B-; Execute a knee break (right hand comes up close to solar plexus while left hand goes forward to strike opponent's knee with palm down). KIYAP (Yell)
23. Pivot on right foot; move left foot one step toward -B- into a right FRONT STANCE toward -A- with a inner wedge block.
24 + 25
Execute a left front snap kick; setting foot down toward -A- in a FRONT STANCE with a knee break (left hand comes to solar plexus palm-up while right hand goes forward to strike opponent's knee with palm-down). KIYAP (Yell)
26. Draw the left foot back assuming a left WALKING STANCE toward -A- and execute a inner wedge block.
27. Pivot on left foot; move right foot clockwise 180 degrees into a HORSE STANCE (body faces -B-; head looks to L-2); execute a left knifehand block to L-2.
28. Turn left hand in a snappy motion to face R-2; punch across body with right fist into left palm.
29, 30 + 31
Step right foot across in front of left foot; execute a left sidethrust kick to L-2, setting kicking foot down into a FRONT STANCE facing R-2 with a left spear hand to groin while striking left shoulder with right hammer fist.
32. Pull right foot back into a WALKING STANCE with a right down block.
33 . Execute a left palm across block then step with left foot one step.
34. Step forward toward R-2 with right foot into a HORSE STANCE (facing -B-); put right fist into left palm as you are stepping and execute a right back elbow strike toward R-2.
35 + 36
Execute a right knifehand block, turning hand to face L-2 in a snappy motion; punch across body with left fist into right palm.
37, 38 + 39
Step left across in front of right toward R-2; execute right sidethrust kick toward R-2, setting kicking foot down into a FRONT STANCE facing L-2 with a right spear hand to groin while striking right shoulder with left hammerfist.
40 . Pull left foot back into a WALKING STANCE with a left down block.
41. Execute a right palm across block then step with right foot one step.
42. Step forward toward L-2 with left foot into a HORSE STANCE (facing -B-); put left fist in right palm as you are stepping and execute a left back elbow strike toward L-2.
43. SLOWLY---Bring both hands up and out in a circular motion, down and around ending in front of belt with left hammerfist in right palm; at same time bring right foot to left foot.
44 + 45
Pivot on right foot and move left foot 180 degrees counter-clockwise toward -A- in a FRONT STANCE while executing a left palm-down knifehand strike to high section; then left palm-down low block.
46 + 47
Step right foot forward into a FRONT STANCE with a right palm-up knife hand strike to high section and then a right knifehand low block.
48 + 49
Step left foot forward into a FRONT STANCE with a left palm-up knifehand strike to high section and then a left knifehand low block.
50. Step right foot forward into a FRONT STANCE with a right tiger-mouth strike to neck level. KIYAP (Yell)
Pivot on right foot and move left foot 180 degrees counter-clockwise to face -B- bringing left foot back to ready position; bring both hands from belt level up to face level and push out with triangle, as you settle back to being flatfooted.